1st Sample Printed, more on the way

We went to see Bertus on Thursday afternoon to see if he had any success 3D printing the scanned crown on the Ultimaker and also to give him an update on the project and what we were planning to do moving forward. Unfortunately the print had failed, so we decided to try splitting the model and printing in two halves. We set this up and then left it to print overnight so that we could check the results in the morning.

The Ultimaker printing one half of the crown

Detail of the printing on the Ultimaker

On Friday morning we met with Tessa to begin printing our samples on the Form2 in normal resin. This was so that we could check the quality of the printer and get some experience with using the Form2 before trying to print our final models in the more expensive cast-able resin. Before the meeting we had prepared our files as per the online tutorials. We edited the support structures so that they would not start at the edge, otherwise the edges could get damaged when we remove the support structure.

Two sample pieces with support structure

We started the Form 2 print going at around 1pm and it said it would take 6 hours to print but Tessa assured us it was okay to leave the print on the machine until Monday.

Form2 printing our sample pieces

After setting the Form 2 print going we went to check on our Ultimaker prints from Bertus.

Finished pieces of the Ultimaker

Crown with the two halves put together

This time the prints came out quite nicely and we now have a full size 3d print of the crown. It is not the highest quality, and we had some warping of the plastic, but it is really good to use this as a representation of the size of the final products we trying to build. If we want to produce a silicon mould from the Ultimaker 3D prints it will require a lot of work sealing the model and getting it prepared fro casting. We look forward to finding out if the Form 2 prints are any easier to prepare for silicon casting.

Be Sociable, Share!