Today we could finally see the crown in real life! The crown is 14 by 14 by 13 cm large, and quite heavy! It was pretty damaged, just as we expected. A lot of the paint was chipped of and you could see some cracks on the surface.
Apparently there was a gold layer beneath the paint, which you can still see at some parts. Sadly we do not have enough budget to have gold layers on our reconstructed crowns, so they will be painted.
When we looked at the crown from up close, we saw that there were a lot of split lines running horizontally from the yellow parts of the crown.
After a quick inspection, it was clear that the crown was casted from six (!) different pieces. We expected it to be one solid piece, so we were surprised about it.
We are going to try to cast it out of one piece, because we would need to make 48 wax or resin moulds otherwise.
One of the problems of the original crowns that they got stolen easily. The crowns had three legs which fit into three holes in the poles. The were glued together with cement. This was not strong enough. We wanted to try a different approach by screwing the crown onto the pole. We will use the knob at the top to attach the screw thread on. We drill a hole with screw thread through the whole length of the crown as well. To prevent someone from unscrewing the knob we will pour glue through the hole of the crown before screwing the knob on.
After we discussed some things about the crown we started with the scan. We scanned it in two parts with the Spider. In the picture you can see the setup.
Below is a picture of the raw data and the model. We were very happy with the results. The quality of the scan is really good, you can see the little details like the cracks quite clearly and the paint did not turn out to be a problem.
The underside was scanned as well and the final model can be seen here:
We did it all in one go so the whole process went extremely smoothly. The 3D model can be saved as an stl file, so we will try to retouch the crown as best as we can. We will try to retouch it with Rhino, if that does not work we will try out other programs.