Resin print samples

We were able to collect our Form 2 resin prints on Monday morning and we are very happy with the results.

Finished pieces hanging on the building platform of the Form 2

Removing the pieces form the building platform with a scaper

It did require some work to clean up the samples but this was very easy to do for such a high quality result. First we soaked the prints in isopropyl alcohol and then we cut away the support material.

Prints soaking in isopropyl alcohol

Cutting away the support material

Cutting away the support material

Cutting away the support material

Now we could actually see very clearly the differences between the raw scanned data of the crown and the digitally re-touched version that we had made.

The hollow inside of the print

Left: retouched version. right: unedited version

We will still need to clean up some of the attachment points for the support material but this gives us a great insight into what the quality and finish is like compared to the Ultimaker printers.

The cast-able resin has also arrived so we will work with Tessa on Wednesday morning to change the resin over and print a sample in this resin to see how it differs from the normal grey resin that we used today.

In the meantime we will work on refining the digitally touched up model and attempt to re-create build the crown digitally in solidworks to see how this looks compared with the raw scanned and digitally touched up versions.

Be Sociable, Share!